The Boy Scouts of America (BSA) has worked to keep the membership fee as low as possible. As you know, costs continue to rise, and the annual fee must be increased to address the fiscal realities we face to deliver a safe and quality Scouting program.
To ensure we have the resources to fulfill the promise of Scouting, the following national membership fee structure will take effect August 1, 2022.
- $75 for Cub Scouts, Scouts BSA, Venturing and Sea Scouts participants
- $45 for Exploring participants
- $45 for all adult volunteers (includes cost of background check)
- $100 for a unit charter/affiliation fee
- $25 one-time joining fee for new program participants in Cub Scouts, Scouts BSA, Venturing and Sea Scouts (Not pro-rated)
- $15 for Scout Life magazine; this is the first price increase since 2005
The national membership fee helps cover the cost of essential services, including program resources, liability insurance for those participating in approved Scouting activities, criminal background checks, youth protection, and the development of intellectual property for national, council, and unit programs. As we move forward, we will continue to look at the membership fee structure and how we deliver the Scouting program for future generations.
Online registration remains the preferred method of transferring youth and will become the way to register new youth beginning August 1.
Thank you for your understanding, together we will continue to provide a great Scouting program for our families.